Winter is officially here! Time to boost our immune systems and get ready for the cold, blistery months ahead.
1. Vitamin C – Vitamin C is an incredibly powerful antioxidant and is essential for overall good health. It will help to reduce the severity of your symptoms and the number of colds you get a year. Emergen-C is a great product to have on hand all winter. Each package contains 1000 mg of handy Vitamin C. It also helps to replenish lost electrolytes and is amazing for headaches and migraines.
2. Water – It is very important to stay hydrated so drink lots of water through the day. If you are finding this difficult try adding hot water with ½ fresh lemon squeezed into your cool water. This is a wonderful morning routine, as it is cleansing and alkalizing for the body and helps enhance digestion and detoxification.
3. Probiotics – Probiotics are an effective way to support your immune system. They help to replenish good bacteria lost in your gut and strengthen your overall gut flora, which is important for a healthy immune system. We love probiotic pearls, as they do not have to be refrigerated, making them easy to travel with or keep in your purse. We recommend 1 in the morning and 1 at night. They help to improve your intestinal health to keep you well and keep your immune system strong.
4. Manuka Honey – Manuka honey comes from the flowers of the Manuka bush in New Zealand, but the reason it is so powerful to the body is because of its anti-microbial and anti-viral properties. It is especially useful in any type of respiratory infections. You can also buy organic Manuka honey lozenges, which are fabulous for your throat.
5. Ginger – Ginger is very anti-inflammatory to the body and provides us with anti-viral and immune boosting properties. It is a great to use if you are feeling nauseous or to calm inflammation in the body. We recommend using fresh ginger root for colds by chopping off enough for 1-2 tablespoons of fresh ginger. Chop coarsely and throw into a teapot or cup and cover with boiling water. Let steep with saucer covering for about 5 minutes and add raw honey if desired. It is soothing to your throat and helps to clear sinuses and chest congestion.
6. Oscillococcinum – The ultimate immune booster! At the first sign of aches and chills, place 1 vial under your tonge and allow it to fully dissolve. Take the other 2 vials the same way throughout the day, between 4-6 hours apart, as per package directions. Only take the next 3 if symptoms persist.
7. Oil of oregano – An excellent anti-viral treatment for a sore throat. Dilute 5 drops in a small bit of water and drink it, as per label instructions. Take again 2 more times during the day, if needed.
8. Licorice root – Soothes and helps to heal a sore throat. Steep with saucer over cup or in a pot to preserve natural oils.
9. Wash hands frequently – Try to avoid contact with mucous membranes such as rubbing eyes with fingertips etc and wash hands frequently throughout the day to kill any germs. Using hand sanitizes is another effective way to limit germs.
10. Fish oils – A wonderful source of omega 3 fatty acids, fish oils have been found to be beneficial in everything from brain function to metabolism. A great choice for our winter cold and flu season. Try and get a fish oil that also has vitamin D, since most people are deficient is this fat soluble vitamin during winter months.
11. Eliminate/ reduce refined sugar from your diet – Sugar has been shown to actually impair our immune function. Studies have shown that 75-100 grams of sugar (that’s 20 teaspoons or two 12oz cans of sugary pop) reduce the white blood cells ability to kill germs in the body by 40%. This effect starts 30 minutes from ingesting the sugar to up to 5 hours after! Swap for healthier sugar alternatives such as coconut sugar, maple syrup or raw honey.
Looking for a great cold and flu tea to make at home…here’s how!
- filtered water
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 whole lemon
- 1-2 tablespoons manuka honey
Directions: Boil a big pot of water with ginger. Once boiled, turn off heat. Squeeze a whole lemon with the peel and Manuka honey. Drink a few cups throughout the day.