At Shulman Weight Loss, we have a team of 15 amazing holistic nutritionists. One of the most common questions we hear from our clients is “What do you eat on a daily basis”?
Of course, we are not perfect and do not eat clean 100% of the time.
Instead, we try to follow a healthy and clean diet 80-90% of the time along with incorporating healthy lifestyle health habits including drinking clean water, exercising, sleeping well, optimizing digestion and stress management techniques such as yoga or meditation.
But like everyone, we tend to slip and fall sometimes – our goal is not extremes, but consistency.
In a nutshell, here is our typical day:
Upon rising – Drink a warm glass of water with fresh squeezed lemon
Lemon water is the ultimate way to start your day. Benefits include:
- Provides an excellent source of anti-oxidants and vitamin C
- Helps boost weight loss
- Aids the digestive system by stimulating digestion and promoting regular and healthy bowels (an essential part of weight loss)
- Promotes alkalinity
- Detoxifies the liver by removing toxins and waste
Breakfast (and coffee or tea)
YES – we drink coffee! We recommend 1 cup of coffee or tea a day maximum. Not a coffee lover? Try a green tea instead – it is a great way to boost your metabolism and an excellent source of antioxidants.
Cut the white, refined sugar in your coffee/tea and swap for a healthier alternative such as:
- Coconut sugar
- Raw honey
- Pure maple syrup
Typically during breakfast is when we take our morning supplements. Speak to one of our nutritionists to see what supplements they recommend specifically for you.
Click here for some recommended supplements during cold and flu season to boost your immunity.
Lunch for nutritionists is usually between 12:00 – 12:30pm.
A favorite lunch includes:
- A big green salad with a good amount of protein. Some healthy protein examples are chicken, can of tuna/salmon, roasted chickpeas, tofu, or edamame
- A wrap or sandwich with avocado, veggies and sliced nitrate free turkey
- A big bowl of soup or a serving of chili or stew with brown rice, quinoa or spelt pasta
Snacking is the key to success. It gives the perfect bridge from lunch to dinner and keeps your blood sugars balanced and maintained.
An ideal afternoon snack consists of:
- A piece of fruit with a protein source (hard boiled egg, small yogurt or cottage cheese), fat (nuts and seeds) or a piece of cheese
- A good quality protein bar (tip: always make sure you are staying out of the double digits for sugar).
- Veggies and dip (hummus or guacamole)
Click here for some other great snack ideas.
During the work day, nutritionists can be fairly hectic and busy. Dinner is the perfect time to sit, relax and enjoy a nice meal with the family.
Our biggest tip for success is to eat dinner by 7 pm. The later you eat dinner, the harder it is for our body to break down and digest the meal so earlier is always better.
Click here for some of our favourite dinner ideas.
You don’t have to be extreme, just consistent
After dinner time
Nighttime eating and weight loss do not go hand in hand. If you are looking for something to eat or drink, make sure it is light and easily digestible.
Our go-to night-time options include:
- Herbal teas (Celestial Seasonings cinnamon apple spice tea is a great one)
- A mug of hot vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
- Vegetable chips (zucchini chips, kale chips and carrot crisps are great). Click here for an easy and delicious kale chip recipe
- Skinny chews – for a chocolate craving
- Unsweetened apple sauce with a sprinkle of hemp hearts
Remember, you don’t have to be extreme, just consistent!
Learn more about our team of nutritionists and contact us with any questions you have.