BBQ season is just around the corner and this veggie burger recipe is the perfect option to throw on the BBQ any night of the week – absolutely delicious and packed with filling proteins and fiber!
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado or grape seed oil
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup carrots, washed well and grated
- 1 cup black beans, roughly mashed
- ¼- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted almonds, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Whole wheat buns or Boston lettuce wraps
- Preheat oven to 350F. In large a skillet, sauté onions and garlic in oil.
- Add all ingredients (except spices and salt) stir very well. Add seasoning and salt to taste.
- Shape into 8 burgers. Pack dough tightly as this will help it stick together.
- Throw onto BBQ or bake for 25-30 minutes (15-17 minutes on each side) at 350F, until golden and crisp.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun or with lettuce wraps for a grain free option.
- Serve with your favourite condiments – lettuce, pickle slices, mustard, ketchup, hot peppers, and onions.
Makes 8 burgers
Nutritional analysis (without bun or condiments): calories 220, fat 7g, carbohydrates 32g, fiber 6g, protein 10g